July 2, 2013

Hwæt!

Hello all,

By means of introduction my name is Lynn and I am a college student currently majoring in English with Linguistics emphasis. One of the things I have discovered with this is that I get a lot of people who ask me what linguistics is, or what I intended to do with a degree in it. While I am not overly opposed to answering these questions, it is beginning to grow a little tiresome. So in order to share what I love with the world, and avoid making any overly sarcastic comments the next time I am asked a question about linguistics, I have decided to start this blog in hopes of answering everyone's questions in the same time and place.

I'd like to start out by covering the broad strokes. What linguistics is, what one can do with a degree in it, what varying branches of the field are, and of course the favorite question, what languages I speak or have studied. I will certainly go in to more depth later on, and will gladly answer questions directed towards the email or twitter account provided on the contact page. I hope that this clears things up for some people, and that we all learn a little and have some fun! Thanks for reading and allowing me to share my passion with you.

-Lynx

Hwæt is an Old English (OE) word meaning more or less listen up, or hark.

No comments:

Post a Comment